Discover Scuba Diving: Go Scuba Diving in Cozumel Without Certification
$90 for instruction and first Dive. $40 for each additional dive.
All gear and course materials are included.
Our Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) program, often referred to as a “resort course”, is scuba diving in Cozumel without certification and is an excellent option for complete beginners. The only requirements are:
- Be at least 10 years old.
- Be healthy enough to scuba dive.
- Be prepared to have one of the best experiences ever!
These mini-courses are perfect for the first time diver or a person in Cozumel without a lot of time. Many people take DSD courses because they aren’t sure if they’re ready to commit to a full PADI Open Water scuba diving certification course, too.
This is what you can expect during your Discover Scuba course:
1. We will meet you or your group at a selected dive site based on options you choose, weather conditions and your convenience. These sites are very easy to find either on your own or getting there by taxi (in some cases, we may even be able to pick you up). You will be greeted by one of our experienced PADI scuba instructors who will have each diver complete a Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) Medical Questionnaire and Liability Release and discuss any concerns you might have. Important: Please see our “Medical Assessment” note at the bottom of this page for more information.
2. We’ll fit you for all of the scuba gear you will need for your dives, which includes a mask, fins, buoyancy compensator, regulator assembly, scuba cylinder and weight belt. All of our gear is very well maintained, simple to use and absolutely perfect for beginners. The cost of using this gear is included with the course.
3. Your PADI certified scuba instructor will give you a pre-dive brief, in which she or he will explain:
- The 3 essential rules of scuba diving (never hold your breath while scuba diving, equalize your ears early and often and never dive without proper instruction, certification or supervision) and why they are important.
- How we will communicate while underwater.
- How to use the scuba equipment you will be wearing while scuba diving.
- What to expect during the next part of your Discover Scuba Diving course.
The pre-dive brief usually only takes about 20 minutes.
4. We’ll set up your scuba gear for you, help you put it on and adjust it for a comfortable fit.
5. You will get into water shallow enough for you to comfortably stand (about waist deep) with your instructor. He or she will talk you through the basic skills needed to safely scuba dive during your DSD and then learn how and when to put air into your buoyancy compensator and how to let that air out. Next comes the fun part: you’ll practice breathing through your regulator with your face in the water… You will have just taken your first breaths underwater!
6. When you are comfortable and relaxed, your instructor will direct you to kneel down, continuing to breath through your regulator while underwater and, one by one, demonstrate how to easily complete the following 3 basic skills and ask you to perform them:
- Regulator Clearing (get the water out of your regulator)
- Regulator Recovery (find the regulator if it comes out of your mouth)
- Mask Clearing (get the water out of your mask).
And that’s it! When everyone has completed these skills, your instructor will have you swim around for a few minutes in shallow water until you are comfortable breathing and swimming with the scuba gear before slowly descending down and beginning the diving portion of your Discover Scuba experience.
7. NOW LET’S GO DIVING!!!! You will descend slowly, making sure there are no difficulties and that your ears are equalizing without trouble while going down to a maximum depth of 40 feet. Most dives are between 20 and 30 feet, depending on the site selection, and last about 30 minutes, depending on the diver. Your instructor will stay close throughout your dive and expertly guide you.
Now, it’s time to truly enjoy the experience of scuba diving for the first time. The feeling of weightlessness while flying through the water and seeing all of the amazing fish and underwater creatures that Cozumel has to offer. You’ll be hooked for life!
Most DSD divers have so much fun that they choose to go on to do a second dive after a short break, too! Give yourself about 2 hours to complete a DSD if you do one dive and 3 hours if you want to go twice!
This is scuba diving in Cozumel for beginners. No scuba certification required!!!
Medical Assessments: It is especially important for you to take special note of the medical questionnaire prior to booking your discover scuba dive with us. If you have any particular medical condition that may make diving unsafe for you, we will have to first refer you to a physician for clearance, either at home or here in Cozumel, before taking you diving. A “yes” answer is not necessarily a disqualification; for example some of our clients get confused about what constitutes an unacceptable level of congestion or if a previous condition is going to be a problem. If you have questions or concerns, please ask us!!! Your booking deposit may not be returned if you have ignored this advice and we’ve turned away other divers. Your safety is important to us and always comes first.